RE: Church (catholic or other) references to Noise/Quiet?

You may have been thinking of the following article from our Fall '96
newsletter:

Excerpted from The B.C. Catholic, May 13-19, 1996.

VATICAN CITY (CNS)-One of the most important ways the Mass can respond to
the needs of modern people is by including ample periods of silence in the
celebration, Pope John Paul II said.

"In a world pervaded by audiovisual messages of every kind, it is necessary
to restore zones of silence which allow God to make His voice heard and
allow souls to understand and welcome His word," the Pope said.

Only a Liturgy that includes times of silence can respond "to the
requirements and aims of the Christian life."

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/