RE: 1978 EPA Report

Popular movements work in mysterious ways. I read somewhere the other day
that it is now considered un-chic to order particular brands of beverages
in certain trendy clubs. Who knows how this sort of thing gets started? We
could see a mass movement away from caps with the Nike symbol on the
forehead (our 1990s version of the Third Eye), or against loud music. It
will happen, or not happen, regardless of anything us old fogeys have to
say about it.

However, something positive we could do would be to seek out a celebrity
who would be willing to act as an advocate for quiet -- much as Pete
Townshend has been vocal in warning of hearing loss among musicians and
fans.

BTW I agree with Michael's comments about HEAR -- as we mention at the R2Q
site, we have mixed feelings about this group which has nothing to say
about the real problem with rock music -- excessive amplification. In fact
their website (which you can link to from our "Allies" page) seems to be
more of a rock-appreciation site than anything else.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/