RE: Vancouver Urban Noise Task Force

I don't know a lot about it. Apparently it grew out of citizen complaints.
We didn't initiate it, though we were invited to participate, and our
member Roy Silverston worked hard on it.

Actually I met Roy today in Vancouver, along with a few of our other
mainland members, and Roy gave a report on the latest status of the report.
The city asked its various departments to comment on the sections of the
report that pertained to them. They all basically said, "Yeah, sounds
good", except that for some reason the recommendations on "residential
maintenance noise" (gardening equipment, carpet cleaners, etc.) were
rejected out of hand. The city adopted he report with that specified
exception, and the next step is for the various departments to present
plans for implementation, or reasons why specific things cannot be
implemented (e.g. they may require money, or be in another jurisdiction).

That's my understanding of what Roy said; I may have got the details wrong,
but in general it seems that though the city hasn't committed itself to
anything concrete, it is _not_ just filing the report away, as is the usual
practice with Royal Commissions and things of that sort. Things are moving
in a positive direction.

Peter Donnelly
Right to Quiet Society
http://www.islandnet.com/~skookum/quiet/