Re: 1978 EPA Report

<< Anyway I'm not sure that addiction and habituation are all that different

   I don't have any formal credentials in this area, but it
   would be interesting to hear some input from a
   psychologist, psychiatrist, or other professional
   whose formal concerns include addiction.

   I think a "habit" can be something innocent and non-
   harmful.   Taking a walk every evening can be a habit,
   but certainly is not harmful.

   I assume the term "addiction" indicates a special case
   of "habit."  In other words, all addictions are habits, but
   not all habits are addictions.   I think that addictions
   are distinguished by the fact that they inflict some
   degree of discomfort in the process of withdrawing, and
   they have harmful long-term effects while nourishing
   short-term needs.