I am forming PIPEDOWN-USA with the intent to write a newsletter ("Please Pipedown"). I will also print up comment cards to let merchants and restaurants know that the loud music is not welcome.
Current goals of PIPEDOWN-USA are
• to remind the members to ask if the program audio could be turned down
• to provide information about how to make the requests reasonable and polite
• to provide references from web, the media, and literature on why turning the volume down is important and desirable
• to give some examples of how to ask a business to turn down the music or TV
• to provide information on quiet retail and restaurants
• to collect stories about other people's efforts to quiet the commons
• provide comment cards for people who wish to leave them for the management
• to publish a newsletter.
Future goals of PIPEDOWN-USA will be
• to establish a web site with links to much of the above information
• to start a letter campaign to targeted businesses or organizations
• to conduct independent surveys of perception of program audio in North America
• to influence independent researchers to study program audio and its effects
.to eventually fund independent research to study program audio.
I would very much like to get any feedback from you about these goals. There is more that could be done and knowing what some of you would like to see happen could be included in the first newsletter.
P. O. Box 421065
Indianapolis, IN 46242-1065